911 Call Taker Trainee
Posting Title 911 Call Taker Trainee
Job Requisition Number COA080982
Position Number 103814
Job Type Full-Time
Division Name Police Headquarters
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Must be able to obtain TCLEOSE Certification within one (1) year of employment.
- TCIC / NCIC certification within six (6) months of employment.
Notes to Applicants
This is a 911 Call Taker (Trainee) position only.
This is an entry-level position that works under immediate supervision while learning job tasks associated with receiving emergency 911 calls for police service and entering accurate data into the Computer Aided Dispatch system.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Must be able to pass the State mandated exam to obtain the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement ( TCOLE ) Telecommunicator License within one (1)
- Must be able to obtain TCIC / NCIC certification within six (6) months of employment.
A detailed and complete employment application is required to help us better evaluate your qualifications. A resume WILL NOT substitute for a complete employment application. Please verify the employment history dates on your resume exactly match the online application.
Certification or the ability to type at least 40 net words per minute is required. Applicants who have taken a typing test administered through the Workforce Solutions Office within one (1) year of the application date may attach the results to their online application.
Applicants will also be administered a skills assessment test.
In compliance with the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement requirements, applicants must show proof of U.S. citizenship. The following documents are accepted: Birth Certificate - U.S. Passport - U.S. Passport Card - Certificate of Citizenship - Certificate of Naturalization.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of all testing requirements including a background check and investigation as administered by the department, fingerprint clearance, interview process, drug screening, and psychological exam.
Employees will be in training status for 10-12 weeks.
$17.30 - $21.63 Hourly Rate
Shift work - varies.
Shift assignments and days off rotate and are varied to meet the needs of a 24-hour a day, 7-day a week operation in an emergency response environment. To be considered for this position, candidates must be available for various shifts and various days off. Weekend and holiday work are required.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting External
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 5010 Old Manor Rd (CTECC) Austin, TX 78723
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Operates 911 communications equipment to monitor and determine the exact nature of each request for service.
2. Determines location and agency involvement of each incident as required.
3. Determines nature of complaint and alarm and code them for computer input.
4. Enters incident data in computer, on appropriate form, or relays calls to appropriate personnel.
5. Routes non-emergency calls to appropriate personnel and/or agency.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of the operations of a Police Emergency Communications Center.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling conflict and uncertain situations.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Ability to work in close quarters and to wear a telephone headset.
- Ability to apply telephone interviewing techniques.
- Ability to quickly and accurately obtain appropriate information.
- Ability to learn and communicate medical emergency pre-arrival instructions ( EMD ).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with city employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * This position requires graduation from high school or equivalent. Licenses and Certifications Required: Must be able to obtain TCOLE Certification within one (1) year of employment, TCIC/NCIC certification within six (6) months of employment. Do you meet the minimum qualifications for this position?
- * If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI)?
- * Shift assignments and days off rotate and are varied to meet the needs of a 24-hour, 7-day a week operation in an emergency response environment. To be considered for this position, candidates must be available for various shifts and various days off. Are you able and willing to work this schedule as required?
- * How many years of employment experience do you have in an inbound call center environment or an emergency communications center?
- Less than 6 months
- 6 months - 1 year
- 1 year - 2 years
- More than 2 years
- * Please detail your employment experience in an inbound call center or emergency communications center environment.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
- ResumeOptional Documents
- Cover Letter
- Other Document