Accountant, Senior – Accounts Payable
WORKING FOR THE CITY OF MCKINNEY
Working for the City of McKinney is more than a job. It is an opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. It is also an opportunity to have a hand in the development of one of the fastest growing communities in the nation. In 2014, our community was named "The #1 Best Place to Live in America." Although proud of that honor, everyone on our team is committed to making McKinney an even better place to live, work and raise a family. That's why we exist.
OUR CORE VALUES
City of McKinney employees work hard and at a very fast pace. However, we also look after and support one another. All of us are guided by four employee-inspired values - Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (RISE). We are also supported by servant-based leaders who foster and support a healthy, family-oriented culture. All new employees are expected to embrace and live by our core values and commit to helping us sustain our exceptional work environment as a high performance organization.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
As a key member of the Financial Services team, this position reports to the Accounting Manager. The Senior Accountant - Accounts Payable is to perform high level governmental accounting, auditing, and financial reporting in accordance with GASB and GAAP as they relate to municipal finance. This position is also a resource for the compilation of financial reports, budget, data analysis, forecasting and special projects with a concentration in the Accounts Payable portion of this position. This position will be required to supervise personnel, analyze information, identify alternatives, and make sound recommendations.
Essential Functions/Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
GENERAL EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
In order for us to continue to achieve our primary function of making McKinney a better place to live, work, and raise a family, we hold these expectations for all employees.
- Learn and demonstrate an understanding of how team, department, and City goals are interconnected.
- Contribute to a positive work culture.
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to assess his/her work performance or the work performance of the team.
- Contribute to the development of others and/or the working unit or overall organization.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team, to demonstrate team skills, and to perform a fair share of team responsibilities.
- Ability to continuously learn and develop through a mix of internal and external training opportunities, and if applicable, encourage subordinates to do the same.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides senior level support to the Financial Services Division with a concentration in accounting.
- Recruits, supervises, evaluates, and mentors professional/technical accounts payable personnel.
- Coordinates daily work activities, inspects completed work, and provides valuable feedback.
- Performs high level, complex analysis of accounts including reconciliations to subsidiary ledgers.
- Assists in developing department performance metrics and strategic financial plans.
- Establishes and maintains credibility by providing timely and accurate analysis and reports.
- Prepares and compiles audit schedules and year end activities.
- Prepares monthly and annual journals entries.
- Ensures reporting complies with legal requirements, transparency standards, and City goals.
- Reviews contracts for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with established procedures.
- Participates in special projects at the request of management.
- Complies with City policies and procedures to include work schedule and attendance policies.
- Supervises the accounts payable area, ensuring accuracy, quality control, and timely processing.
- Initiates online banking files related to Accounts Payable (positive pay, ACH/Wires).
- Oversees P-card reconciliation process to ensure appropriate use, approvals, and timely payment.
- Develops and implements audit procedures within Accounts payable to maintain internal controls.
- Collaborates with Procurement Services to review and update procure-to-pay policies, procedures, and training programs.
- Identifies, records, and reports 1099 taxes and other quarterly and annual report filings
- Manages year-end processes for pre-paids, expenditure accruals, and encumbrances
- Maintains vendor database and proper W-9 recordkeeping
- Reports and analyzes variances and fluctuations relating to expenditures and payables.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
- Ability to embrace and embody the City's core values of Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (R.I.S.E.).
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, supervisors, subordinates, and people to whom service is provided.
- Ability to produce desired work outcomes, including quality, quantity, and timeliness.
- Ability to plan and organize work, time, and resources, and if applicable, that of subordinates.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, budget manuals and financial reporting.
- Skill to utilize a variety of data sources to include general ledger systems, CAFRs, monthly financial reports, Internet sites, or other sources as needed.
- Skill to analyze and interpret data and information while recognizing interactive effects and relationships.
- Skill to reconcile accounts and develop approaches/techniques to problem resolution.
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel skills including the ability to calculate and tabulate data; intermediate Microsoft Office including Word and PowerPoint.
- Mathematical skills that produce reliable calculations.
- Skill to operate standard office equipment.
- Ability to speak and deal tactfully with others and exhibit a willingness to share information.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, decisiveness, and creativity in various situations.
- Ability to identify and implement process improvements.
- Ability to demonstrate a collaborative and flexible style, especially during times of change.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
- Strong negotiating skills and ability to assess proposals and contracts.
- Effective communicator with strong oral and written skills.
- Ability to work under time pressures and problem solve.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or closely related field. Successful candidates should possess four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in accounts payable supplemented by experience in financial and accounting administration.
Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications may be an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
Master's degree in Accounting/Finance or CPA preferred.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must pass a drug screen and background check.
- Must have Class C Texas Driver's License.
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station. Some tasks require visual and sound perception and discrimination and oral communications ability.
There is limited exposure to environmental conditions.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The City of McKinney is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) committed to an alcohol / drug free workplace and to providing equal opportunities regardless of age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Closing Date/Time: 1/18/2021 5:00 PM Central