Applications accepted from: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Division/Section: Office of Business Opportunity
Workdays & Hours*: *Shift work, including rotation, weekends and holidays. (subject to change)
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The purpose of the Office of Business Opportunity's mission is to create a competitive and diverse business environment within the Houston Airport System (HAS) by promoting the growth and success of local and small businesses.
The purpose of this position is to perform professional administrative functions related to the development and implementation of policies and procedures in the assigned department. This role will use administrative skills to support prime and subcontractor Play or Pay accountability, to achieve prime and subcontractor buy-in at the Houston Airport System. Will educate, monitor, and coordinate activities and communication to internal and external stakeholders. Compiles data for use in a variety of reports, surveys, inventories, and studies as it pertains to the Pay of Play Program. Maintains, prepares, revises, and disseminates department rules and regulations, policies, procedures, and other pertinent reference information. This position will assist with budget preparation and tracking of expenditures. Assists in planning and implementing department sponsored activities and programs. The position will provide technical guidance and assistance to clerical staff. "Must be able to pass a criminal background check, obtain and maintain federally mandated security clearances where required."
The Administrative Assistant duties will include but are not limited to:
• Interprets and implements basic rules, regulations, policies and procedures in day-to-day department operations.
• Drafts correspondence, reports and other documents; proofs/edits documents for accuracy, content and format.
• Prepares periodic and special reports; compiles information and maintains department reference information.
• Investigates problems/potential problems by means of written and verbal communications; prepares findings and recommends solutions.
• Organizes inventorying, cataloging, retention, and retrieval of department documents.
• Assists in the coordination of department staff services, such as personnel, purchasing, store keeping, public relations, and office management.
• Conducts administrative research and long-range planning studies on special management activities.
• Assists with department budget preparation and monitoring.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
The position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc. There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Requires the ability to make coordinated gross motor movements in response to changing external stimuli within moderately demanding tolerances; or the ability to make coordinated eye/hand movements on a patterned response space within low tolerance demands with no real speed requirements.
Requires a bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Liberal Arts, or a related field.
One year of Professional Assistant experience is required. Professional Assistant experience may be substituted for the above education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6. **
Preference will be given to applicants with the following skillsets:
• A detail oriented, multitasker with the ability to prioritize and quickly adapt to a fast-paced and changing environment.
• Extensive appointment scheduling experience, client reception and data reporting.
• Problem solver- able to work with other teams and staff members effectively to reach a viable solution and goal (team player).
• Strong service focus -dedicated to meeting the expectations of all staff through securing effective relationships with clients and executing deliverables to the highest standards.
• Excellent communicator- able to deal effectively with people at all levels across a multicultural environment.
• Ability to maintain and respect confidentiality. Self-starter, strong initiative, confidence and ability to work with little guidance. Positive attitude is collegial and friendly.
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRE
The selection process will involve application review and/or interview. Department may administer skills assessment test.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION YES
YES - If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
PAY GRADE 17
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov . To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your on line profile by visiting:
http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call 281-233-1852.
If you need special services or accommodations, call 281-233-1852 (TTY 7-1-1). If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process. Applicants are encouraged to attach a cover letter and resume along with their completed application when applying. For further information pertaining to the Houston Airport System, please visit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch ?v=EDWLV sJFoM.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
Closing Date/Time: 4/19/2021 11:59 PM Central