AW Pipeline Technician Worker (Collection System Maint)
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Valid Texas Class C Driver License.
- Must be able to obtain the appropriate class of Commercial Driver's License with endorsements within ninety (90) days of employment.
- Positions in Collection Lift Stations and Collections System Services must obtain certification for Respiratory Protection and Confined Space Entry within six (6) months of hire and maintain those certifications.
Notes to Applicants
Working with Austin Water provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more - click HERE for more information.
To learn more about what it means to be an Austin Water Pipeline Technician Worker and the benefits of working for Austin Water, please click here for our informational brochure.
These positions may be filled at the following locations, for the following shifts:
Construction & Rehabilitation Services
Tim Louviere Service Center, 6301-B Harold Court
Monday - Thursday, 6:30 am - 5:00 pm
Collection System Maintenance
North Service Center, 901 W. Koenig Ln
Monday - Friday, 10:30 am - 7:00 pm or
Monday - Friday 6:30 am - 3:30 pm
Distribution System Maintenance
Glen Bell Service Center, 3907 S. Industrial Lane
Monday - Friday, 7:30 am - 4:00 pm or
Monday - Friday, 3:30 pm - 12:00 am
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
A detailed, complete employment application helps us to better evaluate your qualifications, and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for the position.
Please detail on the application any previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications. Provide each job title and employment dates for all jobs included on the application. Please include contact information for previous employers. Your work history should include the duties you performed, any supervisory or lead responsibilities, and any equipment or computer software used. Please note that we are not accepting resumes so a complete application is essential.
General Pre-Employment Requirements:
If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
If you are identified as a top candidate, verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
This position requires a Valid Texas Class "C" or the ability to acquire one by your hire date.
External New Hires must meet the City of Austin's Driver Record Evaluation ( DRE ) requisite.
To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old, hold a current applicable driver's license, and have no more than six (6) points assessed on Driver Record Evaluation ( DRE ). Please review the City of Austin Driving Standards to assess your driving record. DRE will be verified through the Department of Public Safety. Job Offer is contingent on having a driving record that meets the City's Driver Record Evaluation Standards.
Commercial Driver's License
This position requires that newly hired employees must be able to obtain appropriate class of Commercial Driver's License with endorsements within ninety days of employment. Employees must comply with the Alcohol and Controlled Substance Testing rules as outlined by the City of Austin Alcohol and Drug Policy for Drivers of Commercial Motor Vehicles.
This position is in a heavy industrial setting and requires performing all duties associated with operating heavy equipment outdoors in all weather conditions including extreme heat, cold and rain. This position will include cross training in operations of various equipment. Position will require adaptability and willingness to change or modify work load on demand and multitask. Position requires working in environments which may have hazardous situations.
Confined Space Entry Requirements
Candidates must be able to work in environments which may have hazardous atmospheres or in confined spaces where there is limited or restricted means for entry and exit, or where the activities of an employee are hindered. Candidates must be able to qualify for Austin Water's Respiratory Protection Program.
This position will require that you be able to perform duties with confidence climbing heights of up to 20 feet on ladders that support up to 300 lbs., descending into confined spaces up to 100 feet deep with the use of a SRL Body Harness that supports up to 283 lbs., including 18 lbs. of equipment, and lifting and/or carrying equipment or supplies weighing up to 50 lbs., unassisted.
Pre-Employment Testing Requirements
Selected candidates will be required to complete and pass a physical exam and drug and alcohol screening test.
Successful candidates must pass a pre-employment Functional (FC) strength/agility test (with or without accommodations) to be considered for this position.
All Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite - including construction sites, parking lot, garage or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
$15.60-$17.87 per hour, based on experience.
Divisions have varying shifts, including days and nights. Please see shift information by location/Service Center in Notes to Applicants.
All employees are required to be available for overtime, call-back, and on-call for emergency response on nights, weekends, and holidays.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Water Utility
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location Various Locations, See "Notes to Applicants"
- Experience working in all weather conditions including extreme heat, cold, and rain
- Experience using hand tools and power tools
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures
- Experience interacting directly with customers and providing a high level of customer service
- Experience using blueprints, construction documents, underground utility drawings, map grids, or computerized mapping software
- Experience setting up temporary traffic control devices
- Computer navigation skills and familiarity with a computer work order system
- Experience operating heavy equipment such a backhoe, mini-excavator, skid steer, etc.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Assists in the basic operation, inspection, and maintenance of a variety of vehicles and heavy equipment. Assists in the operation, calibration, troubleshooting, maintenance, and minor repair of a variety of electronics, hand, electrical, pneumatic, and mechanical power tools and equipment. Assists in the set-up, operation, and maintenance of various safety-related equipment according to utility safety procedures and SOPs. Assists in asset control and inventory activities and supports crew members on job sites. Assists in reading and interpreting maps, plans, drawings, meters, gauges, and videos. Performs labor intensive work and assists in excavation, repair, and replacement of water and wastewater infrastructure. Assists in the completion of paperwork, forms, and reports as necessary. Learns how to respond to citizen questions, concerns, and complaints.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of basic math including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of whole numbers, decimals, fractions, and percentages.
- Skill in reading diagrams and technical drawings.
- Skill in using hand tools and power tools.
- Skill in operating a motor vehicle and motorized equipment.
- Ability to meet and maintain driver eligibility standards detailed in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program while driving personal and City of Austin vehicles on official business.
- Ability to act as a member of a confined space entry team and perform maintenance tasks in confined spaces up to 100 feet deep with the use of an SRL Body Harness that supports up to 283 pounds as designated by work area.
- Ability to use SCBA , respirator, and other confined space equipment as designated by work area.
- Ability to perform construction and maintenance tasks that require lifting and carrying equipment and supplies within up to fifty (50) pounds unassisted.
- Ability to safely perform operations and maintenance tasks that may require working in hazardous environments with exposure to hazardous chemicals, solvents, and adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to read and follow technical guidelines and standard operating procedures.
- Ability to work various shifts, on-call, and/or call back hours.
- Ability to perform construction and maintenance tasks that require climbing to heights of up to twenty (20) feet on ladders that support up to 300 pounds.
Criminal Background Investigation This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires that you must be at least 18 years of age with a High School diploma or GED. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
* This position requires you to work various shifts including Holidays, weekends, nights and on-call rotation. Are you able to comply with this requirement?
* This position will require that you be able to perform duties with confidence climbing heights in excess of 20 feet on ladders that support up to 300 lbs., descending into confined spaces up to 30 feet deep with the use of a SRL Body Harness that supports up to 265 lbs., and lifting and or carrying equipment or supplies weighting up to 50 lbs., unassisted. Will you be able to fulfill these essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodations?
* This position requires a valid Texas Class C Driver License. Do you have a valid Texas Class C Driver license or, if selected for this position, do you the ability to acquire a valid Texas Class C Driver license by your hire date?
* Position will require you to obtain an appropriate Commercial Driver License (CDL) within 90 days of employment with the City. Please select from the following:
- I have a current Class A CDL
- I have a current Class B CDL
- I am able to obtain appropriate CDL within 90 days of hire
- I am not able to obtain appropriate CDL within 90 days of hire
* How many years of experience do you have in general construction maintenance, general underground utility construction maintenance, or plumbing?
- Less than 1 year
- 1 - 2 years
- 2 - 4 years
- 4 -6 years
- More than 6 years
* What is your level of work experience doing manual labor outdoors in extreme heat, cold, rain, and/or inclement weather?
- My job(s) involved doing manual labor outdoors in extreme and inclement weather 5% - 25% of the time.
- My job(s) involved doing manual labor outdoors in extreme and inclement weather 26% - 50% of the time.
- My job(s) involved doing manual labor outdoors in extreme and inclement weather 51% - 75% of the time.
- My job(s) involved doing manual labor outdoors in extreme and inclement weather 76% - 100% of the time.
- None of my jobs involved doing manual labor outdoors in extreme and inclement weather.
* What is your level of skill and/or knowledge of safety practices and/or procedure?
- Basic: First/Aid/CPR, learned/used in a class, know who to notify in case of emergency
- Intermediate: Taken at least one safety training course or orientation, familiarity with SDS, spill response
- Advanced: Have certification(s), familiar with appropriate PPE for specific situations, can act as first responder
* Which most closely describes your primary level of customer service experience?
- Front Line: teller, wait staff, cashier, sales associate
- Mid-Level: retail manager, front end manager, customer service manager
- Senior level: store director, business owner, operations manager
- I do not have customer service experience.
* Which most closely describes your experience with reading technical drawings such as blueprints, as-builts, plan sheets, or construction documents and using computerized mapping software?
- I do not have any experience
- I have academic or observation exposure to technical drawings, construction documents, or computerized mapping software, but no work experience
- I have work experience reading technical drawings or construction documents, but not with computerized mapping software
- I have work experience with computerized mapping software, but not with reading technical drawings or construction documents
- I have work experience with both reading technical drawings or construction documents and with computerized mapping software
* Do you have any experience working with traffic barricades, cones or other traffic control devices?
* Describe your experience with a computerized maintenance management system or online work order system.
- Basic: completing assigned work orders or service requests, entering notes and follow-up information, reading assignments
- Intermediate: assigning labor and parts costs, entering meter read information, investigating prior work for an address/customer
- Advanced: creation of a service request or work order, entering a follow-up task, plus all of above items
* Which most closely describes your level of experience working with heavy equipment (e.g. backhoes, excavators, skid steers, etc.)?
- Fundamental: Observed operation; operated less than twice in a six month period; practiced on personal property without supervision; practiced on City property with supervision
- Basic: Taken an intro level class; operate approximately once a month with supervision; knowledge of pre/post trip checklist
- Intermediate: Taken a week-long class (or longer); operate at least once a week with minimal supervision; excavate around underground utilities at least once a week with minimal supervision
- Advanced: Certified operator or trainer; ability to excavate and maneuver around underground utilities without supervision' operate multiple times in a week without supervision
* The City of Austin Driver Eligibility Standards require that External New Hires meet the City's Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. Do you meet this requirement?
* Were you referred to this opportunity by an Austin Water employee? If yes, please provide the employee's full name.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents Resume