City Manager Executive Assistant
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Business Administration, Public Administration or related field, plus four (4) years of experience in an administrative or executive assistant capacity.
- Education or Experience may be substituted up to a maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
The City Manager Executive Assistant provides executive-level administrative support, handling multiple priorities, tracking task completion, and helping coordinate agendas, organizational calendars, and related activities. This position will liaise with internal and external contacts.
Well qualified applicants will demonstrate the following:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with competing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely in person, by phone, email, while exercising tact, patience and discretion and in a professional demeanor
- Ability to function effectively in a high-volume, team-oriented office
- Ability to cultivate effective working relationships with City leadership, and internal and external customers.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job title and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
- A résumé is required, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please include contact information from previous employers.
- A cover letter is also required. In the cover letter, candidates should describe in concise detail their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
If you are selected to interview:
- Your skill level in some of the competency areas for this job will be assessed through skills testing.
$26.99 - $32.70
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Hours may vary depending on work demands, business needs and initiatives.
Evening, weekend, & holiday work may be required to meet business needs.
Job Close Date 09/04/2023
Type of Posting External
Department Management Services
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 301 W 2nd St, Austin, TX
- Advanced skill in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Teams
- Experience supporting executives, preferably in the public sector
- Experience drafting/preparing emails, memos, and other forms of correspondence on behalf of an executive
- Professional experience planning, organizing and managing executive calendar
- Record keeping and file maintenance experience
- Experience coordinating and scheduling travel logistics for executives
- Experience collaborating and coordinating with other departments and agencies
- Experience working with diverse populations and communities, including interacting with individuals of diverse social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Provides administrative support to the City Manager and coordinates administrative support to ensure consistency and an adequate level of support is provided to the City Manager's Office. Coordinates the logistics of speaking engagements, conference calls and various types of forums for the City Manager. Answers phones, greets visitors, and serves as point of contact providing assistance to customers. Facilitates the handling of time-sensitive requests such as Public Information Requests (PIRs). Organizes and maintains files relating to office correspondence, reports, and other pertinent data. Maintains calendar; schedules meetings, conferences, and events; plans travel itineraries; and makes travel arrangements. Prepares memos, letters, notices, agendas, and other documents. Coordinates contact between the City Manager, Assistant City Managers, City Council Offices, and departments as required. Responds to and assist in the resolution of sensitive inquiries, issues, and complaints from both internal and external sources.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- May supervise, provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration and municipal government.
- Knowledge of public administrative research methods, techniques, and report presentation.
- Knowledge of municipal operations.
- Knowledge of the principles underlying the laws and regulations of the municipality.
- Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning, organizing, and coordinating the efforts of several City departments and/or functions with other governmental or private agencies to accomplish program goals or objectives.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to analyze a variety of administrative, operational, and fiscal problems and make sound recommendations for solutions.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with city employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Business Administration, Public Administration or related field, plus four (4) years of experience in an administrative or executive assistant capacity. Education or Experience may be substituted up to a maximum of four (4) years. Do you meet the minimum qualifications of this position?
* Briefly summarize your current major work duties, who you support, the size and type of organization that you support, and the type of correspondence that you do for senior management or executives.
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your experience providing leadership, work assignments and/or guidance to others.
(Open Ended Question)
* Briefly describe your experience drafting communications (memos, letters, etc.), including the specific position(s) listed on your application in which you performed these duties.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your experience working with the Microsoft Office Suite programs, specifically Outlook, Excel, Teams and Word.
(Open Ended Question)
* This position requires a criminal background investigation (CBI). By selecting the following, you are acknowledging that you understand if you are selected as a top candidate for this position, you will need a successful CBI to be hired.
- I acknowledge and understand this position requires a Criminal Background Investigation.
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Optional Documents