Consumer Health Specialist
A Consumer Health Specialist job is available with the City of Fort Worth Code Compliance Department, Consumer Health Division. This is a full time position, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm; spending a majority of your time out in the community. This position requires working quarterly rotating on-call duty which will include weekends, nights, and holidays.
The Division protects the public from foodborne, waterborne and other communicable diseases. The division performs over 10,000 health inspections annually and provides health education programs while still providing exceptional customer service to the citizens of Fort Worth. You will join a team that is a winner of the prestigious nationally recognized Samuel J. Crumbine award "given to local environmental health jurisdictions that demonstrate unsurpassed achievement in providing outstanding food protection services to their communities".
The Consumer Health Specialist job responsibilities include:
- Perform comprehensive consumer and environmental health work and enforce health ordinances.
- Inspect restaurants/food service areas including major public events, such as Main Street Arts Festival and Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo.
- Inspect childcare facilities and help ensure the health and safety of Fort Worth's children throughout the city.
- Help prevent drownings and water illness by inspecting city's pools at apartments, hotels, country clubs, and neighborhood associations.
- Be a vital part of the mosquito surveillance program to help prevent the spread of the West Nile Virus.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college/university with major course in environmental science, public health, food services or a related field.
- Two (2) years of increasingly responsible consumer health, regulatory or related experience.
- Valid Texas Driver's License.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Texas Professional Sanitarian (R.S.) or Registered Environmental Health Sanitarian (R.E.H.S.) License within twelve months of employment. ( To obtain this license you must have 30 semester hours of science coursework . Please submit a college transcript as part of the job application .)
- Spanish/English bi-lingual skills.
- Microsoft Word experience.
- Microsoft PowerPoint experience.
- Customer Service experience handling escalated customer complaints, especially with heavy public contact.
- Public presentation experience.
- Master's Degree in Environmental Science, Public/Community Health, Food Services, or related field, or current enrollment in a Master's level program strongly related to Consumer Health desired.
Closing Date/Time: 1/27/21