Financial Analyst III
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to Finance, Accounting, or Economics, plus four (4) years of experience in a related field.
- Graduation with a Master's degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business or Public Administration or other relevant field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for two (2) years of experience.
- A five (5) year accounting (MAcy) degree or CPA designation may be substituted for one (1) year of experience.
Notes to Applicants
This position will be working within the Financial Monitoring and Budgeting team at CTECC . The position will be the subject matter expert for Operational and CIP budgeting, reporting and monitoring. It will be in charge of the Capital Improvement Project Budget performing research and analysis, budget entries, modeling/forecasting, monitoring, recommendations, and custom statement preparation for executive presentations at committee/council meetings. It will also complete CTECC cost allocation and other deliverables as well as internal controls recommendations for managers to assist in the Budget process. The position will be working with stakeholders from multiple departments and external agencies. Finally, the position will provide assistance and recommendations to managers and contacts regarding departmental performance measures calculations and variance explanations.
About the Department:
The City of Austin Communication and Technology Management ( CTM ) Department provides and empowers the City's business partners and Austin's residents, visitors and businesses with sustained, reliable and efficient technology services, infrastructure and telecommunications. Leveraging state-of-the-art tools, innovative methods and strategic partnerships, we are at the center of shaping the City of Austin's IT strategy.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered. Please be sure that your application is a reflection of your entire work history.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job titles and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered. Describe your specific experience for each position. Include all job duties, responsibilities, and employment dates.
- A résumé is required, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please include contact information from previous employers.
Statements such as "see resume" will not be accepted. You may use "N/A" for fields that are not applicable. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your employment application. Supplemental information or changes to your application will not be accepted after the job posting closes. The responses to the supplemental questions should reference the employment history listed in the employment history section. Once the requisition has closed, the application cannot be changed to update work history, supplemental questions, or any other information. We reserve the right to verify high school and college education for the top candidate(s).
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- And are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
An assessment(s) may be administered as part of the interview process.
This position will require a Criminal Background Check.
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
$29.69 - $38.59
Monday - Friday.
8:00AM - 5:00PM.
Hours may vary depending upon business needs.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting External
Department Communication & Tech Mgmt
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 5010 Old Manor Rd. (CTECC) Austin, TX 78723
- Experience with budget development and management, cost allocations and accounting
- Experience performing budget and/or financial analysis using current and historical data as well as experience reconciling accounts and/or monitoring financial data
- Experience with contract development and/or purchasing
- Advanced experience with Excel
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Assists with development of the operating or CIP budget for the department.
Performs budget analysis by implementing the organization's budget process system, providing guidance and recommendations to management in the development and completion of their budgets; finalizing the organizations budget; and monitoring the budget by preparing or reviewing current year estimates and budget variance reports, reporting on budget variances; reviewing budget forecasts; and reviewing current and historical budget information and data.
Prepares financial analysis, periodic, and ad-hoc reports by researching, compiling, monitoring, and summarizing current and historical financial information and data, reporting on variances and trends, and compiling financial information from various financial systems.
Performs debt administration by monitoring debt service schedules.
Provides financial support and monitors CIP projects. Processes and tracks task orders and other project requirements in eCAPRIS and other financial systems.
Assists with the development of department's Business Plan and forecast. Prepares fund summaries to keep management abreast of the financial conditions of the department.
Develops and maintains computer spreadsheets models and databases to support project data analysis and financial reporting.
Reviews and approves accounting and financial transactions by verifying documentation and accurately completing transactions.
Reviews documentation and funding information for accuracy and ensures that transactions are processed in accordance with City policy, applicable laws and regulations, and sound business practices.
Assists departments and other customers by providing procedural and financial information and guidance with financial systems.
Researches and provides information requested by City Council, City management, boards and commissions, vendors, the public, regulatory agencies, and other City offices.
Monitors State and Federal regulatory processes and provides guidance to the department regarding the financial impact of new and/or proposed legislation, regulations, and standards.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of the processes and theories used for public budgetary and financial policies.
- Knowledge of accounting practices and concepts.
- Knowledge of internal control systems.
- Knowledge of preferred business practices.
- Knowledge of manual and automated financial systems.
- Knowledge of financial and budget reporting.
- Skill in designing and maintaining complex spreadsheet and database models and utilizing word processing and presentation software.
- Skill in effective oral and written communications.
- Skill in analyzing and interpreting financial records.
- Skill in gathering, analyzing, and presenting data to provide accurate information for management's use.
- Ability to resolve problems or situations that requires the exercising of good judgment.
- Ability to prepare accurate and complex financial reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in a field related to Finance, Accounting, or Economics plus four (4) years' experience in a related field. A Master's degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business or Public Administration or other relevant field may be substituted for 2 years' experience. A five (5) year accounting (MAcy) degree or CPA designation may be substituted for 1 years' experience. Do you meet these minimum qualifications.
* Please describe how you meet the minimum qualifications referenced above. Detail how you meet the educational requirements (if applicable), account for the years of related experience (if applicable), and explain any substitutions of experience for education, or vice-versa (if applicable).
(Open Ended Question)
* If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background check (CBI)?
* Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
* Do you have experience with budget development and management, cost allocations and accounting?
* What experience do you have with budget development and management, cost allocations and accounting? In your answer please include which position(s) on your application where you gained this experience, how many years and detail what specific role you played. If you do not have this experience, please put N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have experience performing budget and/or financial analysis using current and historical data as well as experience reconciling accounts and/or monitoring financial data?
* Please describe your experience performing budget and/or financial analysis using current and historical data as well as experience reconciling accounts and/or monitoring financial data. In your answer please include which position(s) on your application where you gained this experience, how many years and detail what specific role you played. If you do not have this experience, please put N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have experience with contract development and/or purchasing?
* What experience do you have with contract development and/or purchasing? In your answer please include which position(s) on your application where you gained this experience, how many years and detail what specific role you played. If you do not have this experience, please put N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
* Indicate your highest skill level in Microsoft Excel.
- Beginner: skill level includes data entry, basic formatting (page setup, column width, etc.), creating spreadsheets, etc.
- Intermediate: skill level includes basic calculations, use of functions, complex formatting (cell manipulation, etc.), charts/graphs (static), etc.
- Advanced: skill level includes pivot tables, V Lookups, formula creation, use of functions for formula creation, etc.
- Expert: skill level includes macros creation, complex formula creation/manipulation, charts/graphs (dynamic), create database queries, etc.
- None of the above
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents