HEALTH INSPECTION SUPERVISOR
Health Inspection Supervisor City of Waco, TX 1 of 3 Health Inspection Supervisor Management / Supervisory 7040 Physical Type # 1 Environmental Health Manager Public Health 124 Exempt
Under basic supervision, manages the health inspection operations and staff of the On- Site Sewage Facilities (OSSF) program for the Public Health District (PHD).
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Supervises OSSF program and staff; performs and reviews OSSF inspections to verify compliance with state and local regulations; facilitates resolution of compliance issues; interprets and enforces statutes, rules, regulations, ordinances and policies governing environmental health; assures that the services provided meet the program requirements.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work- related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
• May be required to respond afterhours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a departmental or City-wide emergency.
• Driving is essential.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• City policies and procedures.
• Federal and state public and county health program regulations and requirements, including Texas State Department of State Health Services and Texas Commission on Environmental Quality standards.
• Interpreting and applying state laws and City/County policies and procedures governing OSSF.
• Compiling and analyzing PHD data, maintaining accurate records and generating reports.
• Utilizing standard personal computer software programs and specialized state and County software.
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
Associate's Degree in Health and Safety, Science, Environment, Biological, Applied Science, Water/Wastewater Utilities or a related field is required; AND two years' construction/public sector inspection experience.; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
• Must possess a valid Texas Driver's license.
• Technical training and license as OSSF Designated Representative by Texas Commission on Environmental Quality is required within 3 months of hire date.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The physical activities of this position include:
Health Inspection Supervisor City of Waco, TX 2 of 3 o Balancing - Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling and walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces. o Reaching - Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction. o Standing - Particularly for sustained periods of time. o Walking - Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another. o Finger Dexterity - Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling. o Grasping - Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm. o Feeling - Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips. o Talking - Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. o Hearing - Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make the discriminations in sound. o Repetitive motion - Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
• The physical requirements of this position: o Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• The following personal protective equipment may be required and must be worn when required by the task being performed o Gloves and proper footwear.
• The visual acuity requirements including color, depth perception and field vision. o The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts and/or operation of machines (including inspection); using measurement devices; and/or assembly or fabrication parts at distances close to the eyes. o The worker is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of the work assigned (i.e., custodial, food services, general laborer, etc.) or to make general observations of facilities or structures
• The conditions the worker will be subject to in this position: o Work is performed primarily in an office setting or well-lit, temperature-controlled working environment; with some travel from site to site. o The worker is subject to hazards including a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving vehicles, exposure to high heat, exposure to blood borne pathogens or exposure to chemicals. o The worker is subject to atmospheric conditions. One or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system of the skin: fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases, or poor ventilation. o The worker is frequently in close quarters, crawl spaces, shafts, manholes, small enclosed rooms and other areas that could cause claustrophobia. o The worker is required to function in narrow aisles or passageways. This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an 'at-will' relationship.
Health Inspection Supervisor City of Waco, TX 3 of 3 Job Description Acknowledgement I verify that I have received a copy of my job description by the signature below. As an employee of the City of Waco, I understand the duties and responsibilities assigned to me. Furthermore, I understand that the duties listed above are guidelines and will change over time, as necessary. From time to time, I understand that I may be asked to perform duties and handle responsibilities that are not specifically addressed in my job description.