Intern- Communications & Public Information Office (Spring 2020)
Posting Title Intern- Communications & Public Information Office (Spring 2020)
Job Requisition Number COA080954
Position Number I79502
Job Type Part-Time
Division Name Communications & Public Inform
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
Must be a current students pursuing bachelor's degree or higher. Must be in good standing with institution with an overall 2.5 or higher GPA on 4.0 scale.
Notes to Applicants
The media team in the City of Austin's Communications and Public Information Office ( CPIO ) fosters positive relationships with local and national media, and provides timely, proactive and responsive information to media inquiries; creates opportunities for the community to engage in the decision-making processes of the City of Austin; and actively promotes City projects, programs and initiatives. The team's primary role is to provide public information to journalists and to support the City of Austin's Executive team, including the City Manager's Office.
The Communications and Public Information Office is searching for student interns for Spring 2020 (January-May). Successful candidates will have innovative ideas, experience with social media, great communications skills, and a desire to work in a fast-paced government environment. All majors welcome to apply.
Under the supervision of the Senior Public Information Specialist, the Public Information Intern functions in a communications support role in the implementation, development, and coordination of marketing and public relations projects, procedures, social media initiatives and related activities.
If candidates choose support for course credit the Communications and Public Information Office will collaborate with your institution on information needed in order for you to receive course credit in your respective related major.
Required Application Materials:
• Cover Letter
15-20 hours a week, 10+ weeks.
Spring Internship 2020: January - May.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting External
Department Communications and Public Information Office
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location Austin City Hall - 301 W 2nd Street, Austin, TX
- Interest in and knowledge of current events, especially in the City of Austin
- Familiarity with producing and preparing communications materials
- Excellent writing, researching and editing skills
- Familiarity with writing, editing and producing social media content
- Familiarity with multimedia content creation, including but not limited to video, photography, data visualizations, infographics etc.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and adapt quickly to change while maintaining a positive attitude
- A self-starter who can respond professionally to feedback and editorial direction
- Curiosity and ability to think creatively and flexibly
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following:
- Develop content, including written materials, for various platforms, including media relations correspondence, newsletters, website and social media channels.
- Design and maintain databases i.e., mailing lists, association & organization lists, etc.
- Design, research, write and edit news releases for internal or external use.
- Receive, investigate, and answer questions from external media and public.
- Perform other internship/administrative duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Skill in oral and written communication
- Skill in handling multiple projects and prioritizing
- Skill in using computers and related software
- Ability to write articles for publication
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public
Criminal Background Investigation This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Your GPA must be a minimum of 2.5 or higher based on a scale of 4.0 as a current enrolled student or post graduate, do you meet this requirement?
- * Why are you interested in this internship and how does the internship relate to your current educational curriculum?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe your experience producing communications materials, including writing for web/social media.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- ResumeOptional Documents