Irrigation Technician II (Parks and Recreation/Golf Division)
Two (2) years in installing and maintaining irrigation systems
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
The City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department ( PARD ) provides, protects and preserves a park system that promotes quality recreational, cultural and outdoor experiences for the Austin community. Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE for more information.
The purpose of this Irrigation Tech II position is to provide the daily service and maintenance of PARD's golf course irrigation systems throughout the city. This position is responsible for the programming, operation, and maintenance of the entire grounds irrigation and drainage system, as well as will be expected to assist in all areas of golf course maintenance.
Application Instructions/Job Requirements:
- Application: A detailed, complete application is required, and applicants must include on their Employment Record all experience (work and/or volunteer) related to this job posting - up to 10 years or more; this will be used to determine your base compensation. Employment Record dates must include month and year. Verification of employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application. Statements such as "See Resume" will not be accepted and a resume alone will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application.
- Skills Assessments: Skills assessment(s) may be required as part of the recruitment process.
- Virtual Interviews: PARD may conduct virtual interviews.
- Military/Veteran: An applicant claiming Military/Veteran status must provide a copy of his or her DD-214(s), or valid comparable document, at the time of interview.
- Physical Requirements:This position does require continuous outdoor activity, frequent sitting, standing, walking, squatting, bending, twisting upper body, climbing, exposure to extreme heat, cold, inclement weather and confined spaces, noise, mechanical hazards, fume/odor/dust hazards, electrical hazards, occasional kneeling, crawling, carrying/lifting up to a minimum of 50 lbs., client/ customer contact, and indoor activity. Must be physically and mentally able to communicate, respond and work with participant's needs and safety issues.
- Posting Guidelines: PARD reserves the right to close posted positions prior to the advertised close date, based on recruitment strategies and business needs. This posting may be used to fill other vacancies in other divisions/work locations within the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department. Decisions on assigned selection will be made at the time of hire based on the business needs of the department.
- Work/Location Schedule Notes:Will be required to work during special events, evenings, weekends & holidays. Work schedule and location is subject to change based on department needs and programs.
- Travel (If Driver's License Not Required):
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program,
you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
- Tobacco and Vape-Free Workplace: PARD work site locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any PARD work site - including construction sites, parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicles located on the premises.
$15.12 - $18.46 per hour
Work/Location Schedule Notes:
- Monday through Friday, 5 AM to 1:30 PM.
- Will be required to work during special events, evenings, weekends & holidays.
- Work schedule and location is subject to change based on department needs and programs.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting External
Department Parks and Recreation
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location Lions Golf Course, 2901 Enfield Rd, Austin, TX 78703
- Valid Texas Landscape Irrigator License.
- Two (2) years of employment experience with in-ground irrigation systems to include design, installation, routine maintenance, and repair.
- Two (2) years of employment experience with reading and working from blueprints, as-built and other construction plans.
- Two (2) years of employment experience with maintaining grounds of a golf course or other park like setting.
- Ability to operate digging equipment/grounds keeping equipment such as backhoes, trenchers, shovels, mowers and augers.
- Ability to program and monitor irrigation computer programs and software.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Operates metal detectors to locate metal or other objects in the ground.
2. Operates equipment such as a trencher or bobcat. Sets-up or operates backhoe.
3. Digs trenches, ditches, or holes using hand tools. Lays pipe for irrigation systems.
4. Reads profiles and blueprints.
5. Repairs or replaces irrigation system parts. Adjusts sprinkler and irrigation system to water plants and grass.
6. Records data on appropriate form, log, etc.
7. Sprays insecticides or chemicals.
8. Measures using tapes, transits, levels, etc.
9. Orders and issues supplies, parts, etc.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of installation and operation of irrigation systems.
Knowledge of construction power tools.
Knowledge of proper safety practices and procedures.
Knowledge of regulations applicable to work being performed.
Skill in oral and written communication.
Skill in planning and organizing.
Ability to layout irrigation systems.
Ability to work from drawings, blueprints, plans, and specifications.
Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires two (2) years in installing and maintaining irrigation systems. Do you meet the minimum qualifications for this position?
* In reviewing the preferred qualifications section of this job posting, please describe in 500 words or less how you meet those preferred qualifications.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have a valid Texas Landscape Irrigator License?
* This position requires traveling to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties. Will you be able to meet this requirement?
* The hours for this position are Monday through Friday, 5 AM to 1:30 PM., are you able to work the hours/days as noted?
* If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI)?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents