Procurement Specialist IV (Capital Contracting Office)
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, plus five (5) years of experience in a related field.
- Graduation with a graduate degree from an accredited college or university in a related field may substitute up to two (2) years of the required experience.
Notes to Applicants
The Procurement Specialist IV will be responsible for performing end-to-end procurement and contracting services for capital improvement project construction-related professional services. Primary functions of the position include procurement of construction related-professional services; development, negotiation, and execution of professional services agreements; performing consultant rate reviews; and performing administration and compliance of contracts.
90 Day Provision for Additional Vacancy: When the same or an additional vacancy occurs within a department in the same job title within 90 days after the start date of the top candidate, the hiring department may offer the additional position to another candidate from the same candidate pool.
To be considered, you must be thorough in completing the employment application and list all experience that is relevant to this position. Be sure to include your specific work experience that relates to the minimum and preferred qualifications for the position on your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
A current résumé is required, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please include contact information from previous employers.
A cover letter is also required. In the cover letter candidates should describe, in concise detail, their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
This position will require a pre-employment Criminal Background Investigation.
The candidate selected for this position may be required to provide proof of education.
Candidates may be required to complete a skills assessment.
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
$31.47 - $40.91
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. Extended hours may be required to meet business needs.
The Capital Contracting Office offers an Alternative Work Schedule program.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting External
Department Financial Services
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 505 Barton Springs Rd., Suite 1045, Austin, TX 78704
- Experience in procuring, developing, negotiating, and administering contracts for complex capital improvement projects.
- Experience procuring and contracting with a governmental entity.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Performs source selection and contract formation services including occasional informal solicitations such as Requests for Quotations ( RFQ ), issues purchase orders and single transaction contracts under the State's formal threshold, participates under and leads cooperative contracts. Performs all formal solicitations above the formal threshold including Invitations for Bids ( IFB ), Requests for Proposals ( RFP ), and Requests for Qualifications ( RFQS ); solicitations for Citywide, revenue-generating, and concessions contracts; and solicitations for construction and construction-related professional services including alternative delivery methods.
Performs contract management and contract administration services including order monitoring for delivery orders, purchase orders, and single transaction contracts; contract compliance monitoring for project contracts and term master agreements; and contract administration services for assigned contracts.
Performs advisory and technical support services to assigned department customers, current and prospective contractors, and members of the public on a variety of procurement activities including procurement cards; delivery orders; purchase orders; informal source selection processes; all formal source selection processes; construction and construction-related professional services including alternative delivery methods, master agreements, order monitoring, participating under and leading cooperative contracts, contract management, contract administration, and category management.
Performs category management of one or more groups of similar and/or related contracts as assigned; develops and maintains product, service, and contractual expertise within assigned categories; develops and maintains market intelligence within assigned categories; develops and executes strategic category plans; and develops and presents reports on the performance of category plans.
Performs, as necessary, customer management for one or more departments as assigned; develops and maintains business, operational, and contractual dependencies of assigned departments; maintains effective working relationships with management, staff, and key stakeholders of assigned departments; leads or assists in the development of departmental procurement plans; monitors and reports on the performance of departmental procurement plans.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Performs a lead role in one or more projects and/or programs as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of public purchasing practices and techniques.
- Knowledge of applicable procurement statutes, ordinances, and codes.
- Knowledge of accounting and budgeting process as it relates to purchasing transactions.
- Knowledge of contract law, terms, and conditions.
- Knowledge of buying procedures, purchase orders, delivery orders, and the use of purchasing cards.
- Skill in alternative delivery methods for the procurement of construction and construction-related professional services.
- Skill in informal and all formal source selection processes including price competition
- Skill in contract negotiation and formation, contract management, and contract administration processes.
- Skill in contract category management.
- Skill in computes applications including spreadsheets, databases, and word processing software.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
- Skill in effective oral and written communication.
- Skill in exercising good judgment, tact, and diplomacy.
- Skill in using automated purchasing systems.
- Ability to provide relationship management to assigned customer departments.
- Ability to develop and lead cross-functional teams.
- Ability to resolve complex formal contract disputes.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications of the Procurement Specialist IV position are: Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, plus five (5) years of experience in a related field. Graduation with a graduate degree from an accredited college or university in a related field may substitute up to two (2) years of the required experience. Do you meet the minimum qualifications of this position?
* Did you review and understand the salary range for the position as it is posted?
* Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
* If identified as the top candidate, do you agree to a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI)?
* Describe your knowledge and/or experience of an "end to end" procurement process. Include your knowledge and or experience soliciting, developing the contract, negotiating, performing contract administration, monitoring and reviewing for compliance in design and construction service contracts.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your experience leading professional engineering/architectural or construction procurement. Explain the process you went through for development of the solicitation, whether or not you used an evaluation process, whether or not the contract was negotiated for execution, and what administration activities you performed post contract execution.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Optional Documents