Posting Title Supervising Engineer
Job Requisition Number COA080931
Position Number 115800
Job Type Full-Time
Division Name Traffic Engineering
Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Engineering, plus eight (8) years of related experience acquired either before and/or after licensing as a professional engineer, including two (2) years of which were in a lead or supervisory capacity.
Licenses or Certifications:
Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Texas.
Notes to Applicants
Under minimal supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment, this position will perform highly complex engineering functions that include all aspects of transportation planning and engineering associated with zoning cases for new developments or redevelopments, site plans for new developments or redevelopments, planned unit developments (PUDs), and any other type of form of developments or re-developments. This position will lead and supervise a team of minimum six (6) engineers working in transportation development projects within the City of Austin.
Typical transportation development projects include multi-modal Transportation Impact Analysis ( TIA ), Active Modes Analysis, Transportation Demand Management, Transit Connectivity Analysis, Site Planning and Driveway design, Access Management, code compliance, and traffic safety analysis.
This position will lead the following duties for the City of Austin:
Supervision: oversee a team of six (6) engineers; lead the team in resolution of more challenging transportation planning and engineering issues associated with new development proposals.
Public Interface: represent ATD at Boards & Commissions, City Council meetings, neighborhood meetings; respond to the stakeholders in written and verbal communication.
Customer Service: oversee customer service in relation to transportation development services; negotiate with developers/ applicants and land development attorneys on transportation improvements based on multimodal TIAs and other transportation studies.
Coordination: lead coordination of transportation development projects with other agencies, City Departments and Divisions i.e. TxDOT, Travis County, Development Services Department ( DSD ), and other divisions within Austin Transportation Department ( ATD ).
Development of Policies and Guidelines: lead development of policies, guidelines and standard operating procedure for efficient coordination and better customer service on development proposals and related transportation issues.
Regarding your Application:
A detailed and complete employment application is required to help us better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Please list your complete employment history (to include all job duties responsibilities and employment dates) on your online application. The application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered (e.g., "see resume" or "see Linked In Profile"). Resumes will not be used to qualify for the position and will not be used to recommend salary.
Close Job Posting:
Department may close the job posting at any time after 7 days.
90 Day Provision for Additional Vacancy: This posting may be used to fill other vacancies in other sections within the Division. Decisions on assigned section will be made at the time of hire based on business needs.
Office Location Notes: Office location is subject to change based on department needs and programs.
$39.54 - $52.39
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
*Hours may vary depending on departmental needs and initiatives.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Transportation
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 901 S. Mopac Expressway, 78746/8900 Cameron Road, 78754
The ideal candidate will be a versatile engineer and supervisor, bringing the following preferred qualifications to transportation development projects and implement transportation system improvements to accommodate all users:
- Proficiency in transportation engineering fundamentals: respond to the applicants, developers and their consultants; develop appropriate solutions utilizing established engineering and planning guidelines, conduct transportation engineering studies.
- Experience in scoping and reviewing all aspects of transportation associated with development proposals including, but not limited to, zoning applications, site plan applications, PUD proposals, Transportation Impact Analyses, Transportation Demand Management strategies, Active Modes and Transit Connectivity Analyses, and Access Management.
- Experience in Synchro, City of Austin's multimodal Transportation Impact Analysis ( TIA ) Guidelines, City of Austin's Criteria Manuals, Texas Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices ( TMUTCD ), NACTO's Design Guide, ITE Trip Generation Manual, AASHTO Green Book other industry recommended practice and transportation engineering resources are preferred.
- Ability to provide technical input and strategic direction to multiple work teams by coordinating across ATD divisions, other departments, contractors, external stakeholders, and partner agencies.
- Skills in effective written and verbal communication with internal and external stakeholders, including meetings and public events. Experience in project management of Transportation Planning and Engineering projects.
- Problem-solving skills with internal and external members to accomplish organizational goals.
- Organizational skills to manage and monitor multiple transportation development projects.
- Computer skills such programs such as Microsoft Projects, Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Synchro, SIDRA etc.
- Experience using Geographic Information Systems, specifically ArcMap.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Provides technical advice and direction to internal and external customers. Manages, coordinates, implements, and/or monitors projects/programs including the review of plans and development proposals for impacts related to project/program. Recommends revisions and permit requirements to mitigate negative impacts of development and assures plans conform to City policies. Resolves conflicts in difficult situations.
- Develops, manages, and/or monitors the budget of projects. Assists in developing, managing, and submitting proposed budget forecast planning for short- and long-term City planning.
- Develops and implements standard operating procedures, policies, codes, and ordinances by applying advanced technical knowledge and applying changes to meet departmental business goals and objectives. Monitors projects for regulatory compliance.
- Develops and evaluates a variety projects, programs, and/or plans. Develops long- and short-term planning/strategies for programs.
- Develops design criteria. Reviews and/or approves plans and specifications, change orders, and estimates.
- Negotiates contract terms, fees, and scope of contract including reviewing monthly progress reports, verifying final quantities and costs, compiling requisite documentation, reviewing change orders, and auditing as-built records. Acts as a liaison among consultants, contractors, subcontractors, manufacturers, fabricators or suppliers, and the City. Negotiates problems of changes, errors, or deficiencies and ensures compliance with project specifications and requirements.
- Attends meetings and conducts presentations to City Council, boards and commissions, and other related agencies. Coordinates and cooperates with other agencies, departments, divisions, and private utilities involved in or affected by project(s).
- Interacts with internal and external customers to assess needs by responding to inquiries from the public and other departments about the process, requirements, and procedures of the development process. Investigates and resolves complaints from the public.
- Reviews and evaluates technical and management audits.
- Develops training and team building programs by determine business needs and scope of work performed by personnel and implementing programs.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of supervisory and/or management skills to programs, projects, and personnel.
- Knowledge of diversified and fundamental scientific and civil engineering concepts, phenomena, and relationships and utilizes such changes in solution of theoretical or practical civil engineering problems.
- Knowledge of advanced mathematical techniques such as trigonometry, calculus, and coordinate geometry.
- Knowledge of modern methods, materials, and techniques of assigned discipline.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following disciplines: Civil, Environmental, Structural, Architectural, Mechanical, and/or Electrical engineering terminology and techniques.
- Knowledge of City of Austin budget planning, purchasing, and contract policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of applicability of established engineering principles and methods.
- Knowledge of phases of the plans review and inspections processes.
- Knowledge of preparation of cost estimates and engineering and feasibility reports.
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements within the Local and State ordinances and laws.
- Skill in oral and written technical and/or general communication including preparation of written reports.
- Skill in negotiations and handling conflict resolution.
- Ability to rapidly and accurately perform more complex engineering computations, calculus, geometry, and trigonometry.
- Ability to communicate and provide direction to peers and assigned personnel.
- Ability to organize, analyze, interpret, and evaluate scientific civil engineering problems and provide practical and cost effective solutions.
- Ability to observe, compare, or monitor objects and data to determine compliance with prescribed operating or safety standards.
Criminal Background Investigation This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in Engineering, plus eight (8) years related experience acquired either before and/or after licensing as a professional engineer, two (2) of which were in a lead or supervisory capacity. Do you meet these requirements?
* Describe how you meet the minimum education and experience qualifications.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have a State of Texas Professional Engineer License? Or if licensed in another state, the ability to obtain reciprocity in Texas within 6 months of hire date?
* Do you have experience in implementing or managing city, state, or private transportation engineering operations using a Complete Streets concept, implementing traffic control signs and markings, and responding and resolving to citizen complaints?
- Experience in all areas listed
- Experience in some
* How many years of experience do you have in application of the Texas Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (TMUTCD) to engineering evaluations?
- More than 5
- 3 - 5
- Less than 3
* How would you describe your public speaking and written technical communication experience with City officials, residents, public stakeholders, and local/regional transportation agencies?
- Experience with all 4 groups
- Experience with 3 of 4
- Experience with 2
- Experience with 1
* How many employees have you lead, trained, or supported in your professional career?
- 5 or more
- 3 - 4
- 1 - 2
* Which best describes your experience in leading, planning, and managing transportation development projects, i.e. development proposals, Transportation Impact Analysis etc.?
- Extensive in a large city
- Extensive in a mid-size to small city/township
- Private sector experience
- All of the above
* Do you have experience and knowledge of Synchro, City of Austin's Transportation Impact Analysis (TIA) Guidelines, City of Austin's Criteria Manuals, Texas Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (TMUTCD), NACTO's Design Guide, ITE Trip Generation Manual, AASHTO Green Book other industry recommended practice and transportation engineering resources?
- No experience
- Familiar, but no experience
- Experience in some
- Experience in all
* Please describe your experience coordinating with a variety of stakeholders, including other departments, and other professionals such as consultants, project managers, field engineers or inspectors for successful implementation of projects.
(Open Ended Question)
* Briefly, but specifically, describe your experience and skills in managing transportation planning, engineering or design projects associated with new developments?
(Open Ended Question)
* All applicants applying for this job posting should submit a complete application; resumes submitted should mirror the completed application. Starting salary for the top candidate (s) will only be based on overall relevant experience from your employment application, not the resume or cover letter. Your application will be considered incomplete if your application and resume do not mirror and if your application states "see resume". Do you understand these statements?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Optional Documents