Temporary – Research Analyst
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Business Administration, Public Administration, Social Sciences or related field, to include six (6) semester hours involving or related to statistics and one (1) year of experience in a research field. Or
- Master's Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Social Sciences or related field.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Notes to Applicants
The Case Investigator conducts initial investigation to gather detailed information from persons testing positive for COVID -19 and identifies contacts that may have been exposed during the communicable period. Provides education to persons concerning isolation and quarantine measures.
When public health responds to an emergency, you may be assigned activities that are outside your regular job description. This may involve responding at any time, including nights and weekends with possible deployment to locations other than Austin Public Health.
Position is expected to last between 3-6 months.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skill in perceiving and reacting sensitively to the needs of others.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of required HIPPA and other Texas privacy laws.
- Application of good knowledge of current cultural, social, economic and public health issues and community demographics.
- Interacts with clients, community partners and co-workers with fairness and equity and deliver services free of bias or prejudice.
- Ensure the health and safety of the community within ability and resources and treat the diverse customers with thoughtful listening and respect.
This position will require a pre-employment Criminal Background Investigation ( CBI ).
If you are identified as a top candidate, verification of your education, which may include High School graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees, will be required.
Please ensure that the email address and contact information you provide is current, secure and readily accessible to you. We will not be responsible in any way if you do not receive our e-mails or fail to check your inbox in a timely manner.
Any Personal Protective Equipment ( PPE ) needed will be provided.
Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
Please note that the Department may close the job posting at any time after 7 days.
$21.75 - $27.73
Typically Monday-Friday 8am-5pm - may vary depending on ability to reach contacts.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Public Health
Regular/Temporary Temporary (No benefits)
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 5202 Ben White Blvd, Suite 600
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Gathers data to meet specific project objectives by using various informational sources.
2. Assists in planning design instrumentation and research methodology for gathering data.
3. Collects information and establishes a database to catalogue, update and retrieve data.
4. Analyzes data to determine trend, discrepancies or other specific departmental business issues.
5. Coordinates meetings with targeted audiences to identify or clarify departmental issues, which may include committees, consultants, citizen's groups, etc.
6. Authors or edits technical reports to provide a summary of findings.
7. Manages data using statistical analysis processes and project management techniques.
8. Conducts presentations and designs ancillary visual graphics to enhance reporting
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of statistical methodology.
- Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Ability to establish databases to maintain or track data.
- Ability to conduct presentations.
- Ability to author technical documents.
- Ability to identify variables and utilizing various resources to gather data.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications of the Research Analyst position are: Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Business Administration, Public Administration, Social Sciences or related field, to include six (6) semester hours involving or related to statistics and one (1) year of experience in a research field. Or a Master's Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Social Sciences or related field. Do you meet the minimum qualifications?
* If selected as Top Candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
* In the prior twelve months have you been employed by, owned any interest in, or been an officer or board member, for any business entity, including a non-profit organization, that is transacting any business with the City of Austin, including a recipient of any contracts, grants, or any funds of any kind from the City of Austin?
- Don't know
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Resume Optional Documents Cover Letter